Sunday 6 May 2012

Hello everyone... before I start my post, I would like to announce that our What To Eat website will be launched on 08 May 2012. We would like to thank everyone for all the support and future support that we may receive. :)

It was a Saturday afternoon, and walking around in Lot 1, we were deciding what to have for lunch. Well, although Lot 1 is not a very large shopping mall, there are quite a few restaurants there. There's Ajisen Ramen, Pizza Hut, Sakae Sushi, Dian Xiao Er, MOF, etc. Since we had craving for something spicy, we decided to check into Siam Kitchen.

While we were looking through the menu, we were served glasses of iced water and crackers.


The crackers are free and the best way I feel to eat it is to dip it in the chilli sauce that they provide. It's AWESOME! Seriously good stuff so try it the next time you get there. Oh ya, its addictive too! :)

So we decided on what we are going to have and I must say that the service was a tad too slow for my liking. I have to say that though it was a Saturday, it was relatively quiet as we had our lunch slightly before noon. So basically, there isn't much excuses for being slow.

Tom Yum Seafood Soup - $7.60
First up was the Tom Yum Seafood Soup or Tom Yum Talay. Well, I felt that the soup was not bad but it wasn't like WOW.. not something that I would say was really good. Surely, this is much better than some I have tasted before but I felt it was just an OK. So, if you are planning to check this soup out, go ahead. On another note, I just remembered how there are some Tom Yum soup that is clear. It is like the calm before the storm. LOL. Personally, I prefer the red ones and I believe there are some restaurants that serve both variations of this soup and you have to tell them if you want the red one.

Pineapple Fried Rice - $9.90
Before I actually comment about this dish, I must say that I am not, and never was, a big fan of Pineapple Rice. Yes. It's true. This dish is also called Khao Phad Sapparot Talay in Thai, and is one of the well-known dishes in Thai cuisine that we are all familiar with. Basically, the typical ingredients used in this dish is pineapples, seafood, cashew nuts and dried shrimps, etc. although there may be other variations such as using chicken instead of seafood, etc. So, the moment the dish was placed on our table, what actually captivated me was the fragrance of this dish. The taste was good and there is quite a generous portion of pineapples in there. The texture was good as the portion of cashew nuts in there is proportionate, and I would say this is a MUST TRY!

Siam Kitchen Special Mid-Joint Chicken Wings - $7.80
Ok, so we ordered this dish because both of us are fried chicken wing lovers. Since there was a thumbs up beside this dish, we decided to order it. I was really disappointed. I am not a gastronome and I don't pretend to be one. The simple reason for my disappointment was that I felt it looked really pathetic. Come on, these are like half a mid-joint wing... so its several quarter mid-joint wings. Adding it all up, I supposed there were five mid-joint wings in there. Also, this is supposed to be a starter or snack, yet it is served after the pineapple rice. Not good. Personally, I felt that the meat was too dry, almost feeling hard and the taste was nothing fantastic, also the presentation wasn't good. I will not be ordering this again but if you want to give it a try, do so at your own RISK.

Stir Fried Kailan with Salted Fish - $8.90
Next up was the vegetable. In Thai, this dish is called Phad Kana Pla Kem. It also had the lil thumbs up beside the dish on the menu and so we decided to give it a try. Although it is quite a common vegetable dish in Singapore, I must say that this dish is nice. Yup, you heard me right, it's nice. The Kailan's not too old, hence, not too hard. The taste was just right, not too salty and the level of spiciness was just right too. A very balanced dish I would say. If you want something familiar amongst the many unfamiliar dishes on the table, this would be good!

Curry Soft Shell Crab - $11.90
The final dish arrived at our table. This dish is also known as Poo Nim Phad Nam Prik. Something I had been waiting for. I LOVE soft shell crab especially when it's in the curried style like this. It is also one of the reasons why I still patronize Thai Express... because of their soft shell crab curry thingy. So yes, I quickly dug in to taste how good this is. Ok, I will not be comparing it with what Thai Express serves, as I only want to share with you how it taste and not which of it is better. So back to this dish, the taste is good, mild in spiciness and portion is quite large. Good for sharing! For me, it is a MUST TRY for soft shell crab lovers.

Before I end my post, a summary of my dining experience:

Food Taste: 7.5 / 10
Food Presentation: 8 / 10
Service: 6 / 10
Pricing: 7 / 10

Info
Siam Kitchen
21 Choa Chu Kang Avenue #02-25, Lot 1 Shoppers' Mall     Tel: 6766 4766
Opens: 11.30am to 10pm daily

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Nice to know you're reading this blog and an even greater pleasure to know that you bother to comment. Way to go! Cheers!