Sunday 18 March 2012

This post is going to quite a lengthy one. Not because I am long winded but because I have taken so many pictures while dining at this fantastic place, Bumbu.

Someone actually recommended me this place which serves Thai and Indonesian cuisine. As mentioned in my previous post, I LOVE buffets. This place actually does serve ala carte buffet. All for the price of $16.80+. Just in case if you are wondering which '+' this is, it is for the service that is rendered to you aka service charge. They do not charge GST here so that means you get to save 7% of your bill. Sounding good? It just gets better.

So here I am finally at the door of this place that promises a good dinner.

44 Kandahar Street
Ordering a drink can be quite tough seriously, especially when you are looking for something that pairs off well with the food that is to come. So here's my pick...

Ayer Bandung - $2.50
And after a major discussion with my fellow dinner mates, we are ready to order. We decided we would order almost everything. Laughs. First up...

Seafood Fried Egg Salad
Let me comment a little on this dish. Well, if you are an egg lover, you probably might like this dish. For me, it was alright though not a dish that I would go for the next round. Slightly spicy, good portion of seafood and generous serving of eggs.

Black Pepper Beef
Black pepper beef was okay but that is because I ain't a big fan of stuff cooked in black pepper sauce. So I suppose that all you Black Pepper lovers out there would appreciate this dish more than me. The only compliment I would give is that the tenderness of the beef slices is amazing. It is so tender if it had bones, the meat would definitely fall off the bones.

Stir Fry Baby Kai Lan Thai Style
Now, I must say that this dish is really quite good. Like seriously. One of my picks to go for the next round. Though I suppose they might want to add some sliced chilies in to spice it up a little.

Steam Fish Spicy Sauce
Okay, it is thumbs up for this dish. Firstly, there are no bones in it. That was kind of the first question that I asked the manager while ordering. The fish is smooth and boneless and served in mild spicy sauce. The combination is really good. One of the must try.

Sambal Kangkong
Well, Sambal Kangkong is sambal kambong after all. A typical dish that we are all familiar with so there is nothing much to boast about this dish. But we still love it anyway, though it is not very spicy.

Fried Fish Slice House Chilli
Hmm... this dish is another must try. For those who prefer fried fish instead of steamed ones, this dish is one that you might really like. Well, at least I did. What is nice about it is the chili. Their house chili is really tasty and spicy as compared with the sambal that they use to fry the kangkong with. Nice.


So while we cleared the food and waited for more to arrive at our table, I managed to get a couple of shots of the interior. I like this place, not only because it is a shophouse, but because it's interior is tastefully decorated with ornaments that allows you to travel through time.. back to the past.


The whole feel of this place is one that is traditional yet modern in its own unique ways. When I peered up from my seat, I managed to catch a glimpse of the little Tiffin carriers that our seniors from the older generations would remember so well. I still remember carrying one when I was little though of course it was one of those plain metal ones where you would 'ta-bao' food in and not one of those beautifully decorated ones sitting along the sides of the wall.

Tom Yum Soup

More dishes is being served now so it is back to our dinner. Here is the Tom Yum soup. An essential if you are one who appreciates Thai cuisine. Unlike other restaurants who serve this dish, I must commend Bumbu for serving it with a really generous portion of seafood.

Gado Gado
My all-time favorite. Indonesian Gado Gado, a dish mainly made up of vegetables such as cubed potatoes, blanched long beans, some lettuce, quartered hard-boiled egg, crispy tempeh with peanut sauce (similar to the satay sauce) poured over them and topped with keropok.

Tahu Telor
Hmm... another popular Indonesian dish that I would say 'Must Try'. They serve crispy fried pieces of tahu or tofu topped with fried egg, tossed in a mild sweet and spicy sauce. So the name of the dish is a direct translation of what you would find in the dish.

Cold Tofu with Preserved Egg
I did not try this dish because I really do not take preserved egg aka century egg. But from the comments that I heard from my dinner mates, it was supposedly not too bad so I guess century egg lovers might want to give it a try.

Durian Sticky Rice - $4.00
Enough of main dishes now, wished I could have more but I have to leave what space I have left in my stomach for dessert. So first off the list is my choice of Durian Sticky Rice. It is quite similar to what you will find in Bangkok where their most popular dessert would have to be the Mango Sticky Rice. The rich flavor of the durian with its creamy textures blends very well with the slightly grainy sticky rice. Topped with coconut cream, it is one of the best dessert on the menu. My take is you got to try it unless you are allergic to durians.

Sago Gula Melaka - $3.00
Another favorite of mine. I am a big fan of Gula Melaka or what is known in English as Palm Sugar. Gula Melaka is extremely popular in the state of Malacca in Malaysia. The taste of pure coconut palm sugar is quite similar to brown sugar except that it has a tinge of caramel or butterscotch taste which is lacking in the brown sugar. therefore, it is often used in savory foods or desserts. My pick on this dessert served is just an OK. You can try it but I have tasted better ones.

Tapioca Coconut Cream - $3.00
Hmm.. this is another good choice for dessert. Young steamed tapioca that is soft and smooth in texture topped with coconut cream.

Ice Blended Avocado - $4.00
To end the night, the final order is the Ice Blended Avocado. I suppose my take is the same as that of the Sago Gula Melaka. So my conclusion is that the Gula Melaka that they use is not sweet and rich enough else these two desserts would taste really yummy. But nonetheless, you may want to give it a try if you have never tasted Ice Blended Avocado before.

So, to end my post, I would say that it is a great joy to dine at Bumbu. For me, I would definitely visit them again. Cheers!

Info:
Bumbu Restaurant, Thai-Indonesian Cuisine (www.bumbu.com.sg) 

  • 44 Kandahar Street, Singapore 198897. Tel: 6392 8628, Opens Daily: 11am-3pm, 6pm-10pm. Closed on Mondays. Free Parking after 5pm.
  • 20 Cross Street #01-25 China Square Central, Singapore 048422. Tel: 6536 8636, Opens Daily: 11am-3pm, 6pm-10pm. Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays.


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Nice to know you're reading this blog and an even greater pleasure to know that you bother to comment. Way to go! Cheers!